Passo Antico Sardinian Red Appassimento 2018
Out of stock
One of the growing number of Italian wines made in the ancient appassimento style, which is also used to make the Daddy of Italian wines – Amarone.
What we have here is something of a Sardinian masterpiece. In this case 50% of the grapes are air-dried following harvest by hand from 100 year old vines), to concentrate the flavours. This ensures an intensity of flavour, but what is so appealing about the Passo Antico is that it hasn’t reduced the freshness and vibrancy, and neither has it resulted in either excessive sweetness or high alcohol levels that can happen. The other 50% of the grapes are barrel aged in Slovanian oak and then blended.
The dominant grape is Cannonau (the Sardinian name for Grenache) blended with Carignano and Bovale Sardo (only found on Sardinia). It’s made by Cantina Bortolato Emanuela.
An intense aroma of stewed autumnal fruits, and on the palate it’s fairly full bodied, with notes of damson, chocolate and fresh summer fruits in the background.This is a wine that should be in everyone’s wine rack.
- Grapes – a blend of Cannonau, Carignano (Grenache) & Bovale Sardo
- Double Gold Medal Winner – Berliner Weintrophy
- Air Dried Grapes like The Daddy of Italian wines – Amarone
- Smooth and Chocolaty Flavour with Concentrated Red Berry Fruits
- Sardinian Artisan Quality Red Wine from Ancient Vines
Bottle, Case(s): 6 Bottles
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6